Arlington Voice Week 4 Preview
September 24, 2012Arlington High School
ARLINGTON VOICE WEEK 4 FOOTBALL PREVIEW
Arlington Colts (3-0) at Martin Warriors (1-2)
- THE SERIES: The Colts lead the series, 20-7-1, although the teams have split the last six games. The teams are even at Cravens Field, 4-4-1.
- LAST WEEK: Arlington High trounced Lewisville, 41-13, while Martin took the week off after edging South Grand Prairie, 24-21, in triple overtime two weeks ago.
- DISTRICT OPENERS: Arlington High is 39-29-4 in district openers since 1940, and has won three of its last four. Martin is 12-16 and had lost 10 of its last 13 before beating Bowie last season.
- FOUR ON THE FLOOR: Arlington High hasn’t started the season 4-0 since 2000. Ironically, the Colts achieved that by beating Martin in the district opener.
THE COLT-WARRIOR SERIES:
1984 Arlington, 26-3 (Mav) 1994 TIE, 14-14 (Crav) 2004 Martin, 30-20 (Crav)
1985 Arlington, 24-17 (Wile) 1995 Arlington, 31-0 (Mav) 2005 Arlington, 51-26 (Mav)
1986 Arlington, 21-0 (Mav) 1996 Martin, 24-0 (Mav) 2006 Arlington, 34-14 (Mav)
1987 Arlington, 17-3 (Mav) 1997 Martin, 14-0 (Crav) 2007 Martin, 28-17 (Crav)
1988 Arlington, 33-13 (Mav) 1998 Arlington, 48-28 (Mav) 2008 Arlington, 29-26 (Crav)
1989 Arlington, 17-6 (Mav) 1999 Martin, 42-24 (Crav) 2009 Martin, 38-20 (Mav)
1990 Arlington, 41-22 (Mav) 2000 Arlington, 29-6 (Mav) 2010 Martin, 62-35 (Mav)
1991 Arlington, 28-23 (Mav) 2001 Arlington, 27-0 (Crav) 2011 Arlington, 47-16 (Crav)
1992 Arlington, 45-23 (Mav) 2002 Arlington, 28-7 (Crav)
1993 Arlington, 21-16 (Mav) 2003 Arlington, 38-14 (Mav)
Bowie Volunteers (2-1) at Weatherford Kangaroos (1-2)
- THE SERIES: The Volunteers lead the series, 5-0, including both previous meetings in Weatherford. The Kangaroos have not scored on Bowie since 1997.
- LAST WEEK: Both teams took the week off. Two weeks ago, Bowie stopped the Number 2 team in the state, Dallas Skyline, 38-36. Weatherford picked up its first win of the season, 21-7, over Burleson. The Kangaroos had previously lost to Richland, 35-21 and Cleburne, 52-30.
- DISTRICT OPENERS: For all of its recent success, Bowie is just 5-23 in district openers, although the Vols have won three of their last five. Weatherford has lost nine of its last 12, including losses to North Crowley the last two years.
THE VOLUNTEER-KANGAROO SERIES:
1982 Bowie, 29-7 (Wilemon) 2010 Bowie, 49-0 (Maverick)
1996 Bowie, 23-7 (Weatherford) 2011 Bowie, 44-0 (Weatherford)
1997 Bowie, 28-18 (Maverick)
Lamar Vikings (1-2) at North Crowley Panthers (0-3)
- THE SERIES: Lamar leads the series, 2-0, including the only previous meeting in Crowley.
- LAST WEEK: Both teams took the week off. Two weeks ago, Lamar was outscored by Keller Central, 27-20, while North Crowley fell to Waco Midway, 41-7. The Panthers have also lost to L.D. Bell, 41-12, and Crowley, 34-21.
- DISTRICT OPENERS: Lamar is 32-9 in district openers, but the Vikings had lost five in a row before beating Arlington High last year. North Crowley has won its last four district openers, beating Weatherford the last two years and Haltom the two years before that.
THE VIKING-PANTHER SERIES:
2010 Lamar, 42-14 (Crowley)
2011 Lamar, 40-27 (Cravens)
Sam Houston Texans (1-2) atFort Worth Paschal Panthers (2-1)
- THE SERIES: The Texans lead the series, 6-2, but the teams have split the last four meetings. This will be the first meeting at Clark Field, a place the Texans have already won at this year, beating O.D. Wyatt in the opener.
- LAST WEEK: Paschal blanked Dallas Sunset, 41-0, the Panthers’ first shutout since egging Fort Worth South Hills, 23-0, in 2009. Sam Houston took the week off after falling to Juan Seguin, 35-25, two weeks ago.
- DISTRICT OPENERS: Sam Houston is 20-27-2 in district openers, but has lost 11 of its last 14. Paschal has lost its last six district openers, and 27 of its last 28.
THE TEXAN-PANTHER SERIES
1988 Sam Houston, 29-0 (Farrington) 2008 Paschal, 23-20 (Wilemon)
1989 Sam Houston, 54-0 (Wilemon) 2009 Paschal, 44-33 (Handley)
2002 Sam Houston, 52-21 (Farrington) 2010 Sam Houston, 41-24 (Farrington)
2003 Sam Houston, 62-0 (Wilemon) 2011 Sam Houston, 24-21 ot (Wilemon)
Ennis Lions (3-0) at Juan Seguin Cougars (1-2)
- THE SERIES: Ennis leads the series, 3-1, although the teams have split the two meetings at Wilemon Field.
- TWO WEEKS AGO: The Cougars picked up their first win of the season by stopping Sam Houston, 35-25, while Ennis remained unbeaten by smashing North Forney, 43-7. The Lions also own wins over Burleson Centennial (30-16) and Lewisville (30-26).
- DISTRICT OPENERS: Seguin is 5-3 in district openers, winning its last three. The Cougars beat Joshua the last two years. Ennis has lost its last three, falling to Red Oak the past two years, and Waco in 2009.
THE COUGAR-LION SERIES
2006 Ennis, 28-21 (Wilemon)
2007 Ennis, 38-14 (Ennis)
2010 Seguin, 40-7 (Wilemon)
2011 Ennis, 35-28 (Ennis)
Summit Jaguars (0-3) at Waxahachie Indians (2-1)
- THE SERIES: This will be the first meeting between the Jaguars and the Indians.
- LAST WEEK: Waxahachie picked up its second victory of the season with a 36-12 win over Corsicana. The Indians have also beaten West Mesquite, 42-0, and lost to Midlothian, 42-7. Summit took the week off after being hammered by Mansfield, 63-22. The 63 points is the most the Jaguars have ever allowed in a game, topping the 62 surrendered to Coppell, Arlington and Bowie in 2009. This is also the first time Summit has ever been 0-3.
- DISTRICT OPENERS: Summit is 8-2 in district openers, after beating Burleson the past two years. Waxahachie has won its last six district openers, including beating Terrell the last two years.