Raleigh Hot Stove League banquet set for Jan. 24
January 13, 2012North Carolina
RALEIGH -- The Raleigh Hot Stove League will stage its 62nd annual banquet Jan. 24 at the McKimmon Center on the North Carolina State University campus in Raleigh.
A silent auction will begin at 5:15 p.m. with the banquet to follow at 6 p.m.
Former major league outfielder Doug Glanville will be the headline speaker.
Glanville is currently one of the anchors of ESPN Baseball Tonight and a published baseball author.
Minor League Baseball President Pat O’Conner will also deliver remarks at the banquet.
University of South Carolina Head Baseball Coach Ray Tanner will receive the Will Wynne Award.
That is the organization’s honor for the greatest contribution to baseball in the previous season.
Tanner guided the Gamecocks to their second consecutive College World Series title in 2010.
Other honorees are as follows:
• Willie Duke Lifetime Achievement Award -- Allan Simpson (Baseball America founder)
• Board of Directors Special Achievement Award -- Mike Fox (Baseball Coach, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill)
• College Player of the Year -- Pratt Maynard, North Carolina State University
• Mills Brothers Love of the Game Award -- Tom Walter (Baseball Coach, Wake Forest University)
• High School Player of the Year -- Carlos Rodon (Holly Springs HS)
• Media Award -- Bill Woodward (Long-Time Baseball Writer)
Tickets are on sale at Durham Bulls Athletic Park, Five County Stadium in Zebulon and Johnson-Lambe Sporting Goods in Raleigh’s Cameron Village.
Individual tickets to the event are priced at $35.